Friday, October 01, 2004

the devil I know

My living situation has devolved dramatically. I am going to miss living in a beautiful house where people paint murals on the wall on a Tuesday morning and come to sleep if they need a place to crash among an ever-changing cast of d.j.s and body piercers and strippers and drifters and me, the 9 to 9 grocery store cashier.

There is nothing wrong with living communally, being a marginalized member of society and bringing down local property rates if you know how to take care of each other properly. But in the past week this house has seen angry exes banging on the doors and stealing shit, disputes over utility bills and drug deals, and fist fights outside my door at four in the morning. Also, Tonja talks trash about people behind their backs to me even when I ask her not to, and the other day when I came home at lunch she was using my pot as a bucket to mop the kitchen floor.

I have an appointment with an apartment locator tomorrow morning. I feel good about finding a place on my own. I've never lived on my own before. It may be the easiest non-decision I've ever made, but I come from a loving little dysfunctional family and it's hard for me to walk away from new dysfunctional potential families. Like so much of the past two months, hard but good.

In other ways the past week was awesome. I got to see Liz McGrew! and her fiance Matt at a belly-dancing show downtown, and Laurel and Tom came for the weekend and we went out for Mexican food and went swimming in Barton Springs, where they claim they were bitten by fish. I don't believe it for a second. Fish can't bite! Nibble, maybe. But, they have no teeth! How could they even get any purchase on your flesh with their soft, small little fishy mouths? And I went to see a Chantal Akerman documentary that was screening at the Cinematexas festival, and it was very good and she was very imposing and French. Alex and I had a talk about Life. Kerry seems to have won last night's debate. I had a nice time watching Star Wars DVDs with Charles during one of my refugee nights. I got some free lipstick that was misshipped to Central Market that is actually a pretty good color on me. What more could you ask.

2 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

update on yr living situation!

are you going to have a roommate?

fish bite me, too.

6:16 AM  
Blogger kara marie said...

oh my annna. sounds like you have your hands full down there. but knowing you... you will handle it all with grace and style.

as for me... jealous that you have seen liz and matt and i have not. kicking myself for not swinging down into texas on the way here. but perhaps i'll get to see you all soon... i'm not settling in well here. having panic attacks (a new phenomena for me)pretty much all the time, and i can't seem to stop crying somedays. not sure that this is where i need to be right now... but i'm trying. don't want to give up quite yet. but i'm really thinking about other options right now... we'll see how things go this week.

as for fish biting... definitely happens. even the little ones man. we used to take the kids down to crellin park in chatham to swim at daycare... and there were MANY incidents. those fuckers have SHARP little fangs sometimes. we had to stop taking the kids there because none of them would go in the water after the first couple of times with the fish biting. they would only play in the giant ship on the playground.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home