Wednesday, December 07, 2005

damn! a snow day.

cherries

To write this next paper I need:
1) Chocolate covered cherries and red licorice and
2) More sources

But I can't get either because the University Library got shut down early this afternoon in anticipation of a freezing rain storm, and yo, guess what we got right now. No kidding, a freezing rain storm. My car is actually coated in real, Texas ice. And guess what I don't have. An ice scraper.

I sat in my Corolla with the heat on and I thought about braving the zero visibility and slippery streets, just to get to the grocery store. I thought, this would be a good night for chocolate. I had just found out about the death of another PoHo friend, an old acquintance I did not know well but whose loss I feel--maybe it just makes everything feel more fragile. I turned the ignition off and slid my way back inside.

If I need sweetness, I have bread and marmalade and wildflower honey on the shelf. I am safe and warm and I have a paper to write by Friday. If I need more books I can get them from the library tomorrow. Tonight I am working with what I have.

2 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

hmm.

you know what? come visit me. i'll make chili.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear: i don't have a working phone number for you any more. i'm 979-229-6297 ... and tonight is fine; tomorrow is fine; sunday is fine ... any time is great. do you need to work on the paper? i'll make chili tomorrow (which is saturday, and which will not be *as* cold, but will still be cold). chili takes a few hours to do properly and getting home from work at 5 wouldn't do it justice. but i'll feed you tonight too if you can get here :)

luv, liz

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home