Tuesday, November 30, 2004

surfeit...quaff...truculent...and all of middle school math

These are the things I am attempting to learn today in preparation for my 3:30 GRE appointment. Did you know quaff means to drink deeply? I did not. That is wonderful. And worth the price of admission.

I've talked to my professors about recommendations. That ups the ante on this test, because now there are other people who are counting on me to go through this application process, whose hearts are in it. That's what makes a risk worth taking, isn't it? I didn't understand that in high school. I was just bitter against the incredibly lucrative but largely pointless (and completely class biased) standardized test infrastructure. I still am. It's stupid that some random company in New Jersey can decide that in order to even apply for a Ph.D. in the humanities I need to demonstrate my skill at quadratic equations. But, but. It's like a game, isn't it? A championship basketball game, and your classmates are rooting for you, and sure it's only a game but it counts for something, because your hearts are all in it together and if you win, you'll all feel good together. That's worth the risk of disappointing people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home